This classic spicy marinara sauce is probably our favourite sauce in our house. It’s made with all of the ingredients we all know and love in a really good, traditional Italian dish. It’s so simple and fresh, perfect sauce served on it’s own with pasta, with my favourite meatless balls, or as your pizza base for some extra zing.
Arrabbiata is a spicy tomato marinara sauce that originates from Rome, Italy. In Italian, arrabbiata translates to mean “angry” sauce, thanks to all of those spicy chilli peppers.
The super-authentic version is traditionally made with just olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and dried red chilli peppers. I like to add in basil and onion, you can use either fresh red chilli or red chilli flakes, the great thing about this sauce is that is packs a punch, it is full of good stuff and the ingredients are probably already sat waiting for you in your kitchen. Feel Free to add in a few handful of Spinach for extra goodness, with a side of garlicky broccoli.Print
This classic spicy marinara sauce is our favourite tomato sauce in our house. It’s made with all of the ingredients we all know and love in a really good, traditional Italian dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic peeled & Sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli chopped finely (half if you don’t like too much heat) If you only have dried chilli flakes use 1/2 tsp
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn or roughly-chopped
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the chilli and heat for around 1 minute.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute (make sure you don’t burn it here)
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato puree and mix together.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and water, season with salt and ground black pepper, now simmer for 15 mins on a low heat.
- After 15 minutes add and stir through half of the basil.
- Now top with the remaining basil.
- Serve up and enjoy.
- Freeze for up to 3 months, defrost before use and enjoy a quick simple meal.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days
- Perfect served on its own with pasta (400g will serve 4/5 people)
- Perfect served with my meatless balls.
- Add in a couple large handfuls of spinach and stir through at the end of cooking for extra goodness.
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: italian
Keywords: vegan, plant based, Italian food