This classic spicy marinara sauce is our favourite tomato sauce in our house. It’s made with all of the ingredients we all know and love in a really good, traditional Italian dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic peeled & Sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli chopped finely (half if you don’t like too much heat) If you only have dried chilli flakes use 1/2 tsp
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn or roughly-chopped
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the chilli and heat for around 1 minute.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute (make sure you don’t burn it here)
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato puree and mix together.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and water, season with salt and ground black pepper, now simmer for 15 mins on a low heat.
- After 15 minutes add and stir through half of the basil.
- Now top with the remaining basil.
- Serve up and enjoy.
- Freeze for up to 3 months, defrost before use and enjoy a quick simple meal.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days
- Perfect served on its own with pasta (400g will serve 4/5 people)
- Perfect served with my meatless balls.
- Add in a couple large handfuls of spinach and stir through at the end of cooking for extra goodness.
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: italian
Keywords: vegan, plant based, Italian food