A Simple Zesty Lemon Drizzle Cake, a favourite of mine, hope you enjoy as much as I do. Love Sarah xoxo
- 200g self raising flour (gluten free if you prefer)
- 100g almond flour (see notes if you have a nut allergy)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g coconut sugar
- 3 lemons – if small lemons use 4 Lemons. To be Zested and Juiced
- 150ml coconut oil (melted)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp of ground flax seeds & 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp oat milk (or any dairy free milk)
- Optional : 1 Sprig off Rosemary To Top the cake
- Optional : 1 tbsp ground coconut chips to top the cake
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 1 lemon zested and Juiced
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
The Lemon Cake
- Preheat your oven to 160°C
- Make the flax egg allow to rest for 5 mins (it will thicken up and become slightly gloopy)
- Line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl mix well
- Add the wet ingredients to a bowl mix well
- Combine the wet and the dry mix well. Pour into the prepared loaf tin.
Bake in the oven 50 minutes, use a screwer (or knife) check the cake is almost dry (we want some moisture in there)
To Make the Drizzle
- Add the oat milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and the coconut sugar to a pan.
- Bring to the boil then and then simmer for 4 mins.
- Take off the heat and leave to one side until the cake is ready.
- Using a scewer or small sharp knife make holes across the top of the cake
Take the pan with the drizzle in, pour across the top of the cake, this will create a really zesty creamy moisture to the cake.
- Now, Remove the cake from the tin using the baking paper and place on a cooling rack, add the sprig of rosemary and ground coconut chips (desiccated coconut also works)
- Allow too cool for 15 mins, cut and enjoy.
- This will store in an airtight container for a few days at room temperature.
- If you have a nut allergy, swap up the almond flour for oat flour (ground oats) or coconut flour.
- If you avoid gluten swap up the flour for gluten free self raising flour
Keywords: lemon drizzle, Cake, Baking, plant based, vegan food