Chilli, one of my most favourite foods, A simple meal, It’s the perfect meal for get togethers, family or friends, and it’s also perfect for batch cooking if you want to plan ahead for both dinners and lunches. This sweet potato chilli stew is packed full of goodness and with the Cashew Cheesy Vegan Sauce you will not be disappointed. Plant based cooking made easy and enjoyed by everyone even if you aren’t plant based/vegan you will love this. A 30 minute meal that keeps on giving.
It can be frozen and for 3 months, or keep it stored in the fridge for 3 days. Serve with rice, a jacket potato, sweet potato, tortilla chips, however you feel, the vegan cheesy sauce will go with it all. If you fancy it as a light lunch serve with a hole heap of spinach and rocket, that’s such a fresh meal and SO TASTY …don’t forget the sauce.
The cheesy sauce can be stored in the fridge for 3 days…you can even use this for a tasty creamy sauce with mushrooms, broccoli and mixed through with pasta…I will share a recipe for this so you can try it out! So versatile !!
Sweet Potato Chilli Stew
- Non Stick Pan with lid
- pan to boil the sweet potato and carrots with lid
- 1 400g Tin black eyed beans Drained
- 1 400g Tin Tomatoes
- 2 Red Peppers Diced
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 Red Onion Diced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tsp Cacao Powder
- 1 tsbp agave syrup
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Carrots washed skin on and chopped into chunks
- 2 Sweet potatoes washed skin on and chopped into chunks
- 1 green or red chilli sliced to top the stew
- 1 handful coriander chopped to serve with
- spinach to serve with
- To a pan of boiling water add the carrots and sweet potatoes, allow this to simmer on a medium heat for 10 minutes, drain and set to one side. Meanwhile…Fry off the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 3 minutes, add in the peppers, spices (chilli powder/oregano/cumin/paprika/cacao) the agave syrup and the tomoto puree whilst adding in a splash of water to loosen the mixture so it doesnt stick to the pan. Add the oat milk and balsamic vinegar stir though for another 1/2 minutes then adding the beans and the tomatoes. On a low heat allow this to cook through for 10 mins, then add in the sweet potatoes and carrots you cooked up and allow to cook through for another 5 minutes. Serve up 🙂
Too jazz things up even more follow the recipe for the Cashew Cheesy Sauce, to pour over the top of your Stew.
Cashew Cheesy Sauce
- 1 cup Cashew Nuts (soaked in hot water 30 mins) save the water when you drain them
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp water from the drained cashews
- To a blender take 6 Tbsp water from the soaking cashews then drain them. Place the drained cashews into the blender also, then add in the nutritional yeast, sea salt, pepper and the lemon juice. Blitz this up to a creamy consistency, if it is to thick add a little more water to your the perfect pouring consistency.