This Apple Spiced Loaf tastes so like winter, if honest I always have so many apples hanging around I wanted to find a few new ways to use them and this loaf was certainly worth trying out. It’s Vegan and refined sugar free. I absolutely love apple pie, and honestly this loaf tastes like it but better. It can be served simply with a nice cuppa, toasted with a spread of almond butter, vegan butter or even as a dessert with some vegan custard or ice-cream….or why not try them all ..YOLO.
I don’t have a massive sweet tooth but when I do I try my best to make up my own delights. This loaf is sweet and the chunks of apple give it great texture. Even better It is so simple to make.
Give this a whirl and let me know your thoughts, tag in your socials, share with friends and see what their thoughts are too.
- Apple Sauce
- 6 Apples
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Water
- Apple Loaf
- 1 Flaxegg (See Notes)
- 100g Oats (Gluten Free) (blend up to Flour consistency)
- 60g Buckwheat Flour
- 60g Self Raising Flour (Gluten Free)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 90g Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- 2 Tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Apple Sauce
- 2 Large Apples Chopped into small chunks
- Almond Flakes to top
- Apple Peel To decorate.
- Set the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Apple Sauce.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks. Place in a pan with the lemon juice and water and let to simmer away 15 – 20 mins. Then mash the chucks and set to one side. You won’t need to use all of the applesauce for this recipe so either pop the remainder in the fridge or freezer to use another time, or save it as a little dessert, leave half cup of the sauce to one side to use in the loaf.
- Spice Apple Cake.
- Make the flax egg and place to one side.
- Wet ingredients
- In a small pan add the Coconut oil and coconut sugar until melted and softened together. Take off the heat then add the apple sauce and vanilla, stir together. Add in the almond mix, stir and set to one side.
- Dry Ingredients
- Sift the flours, baking powder, salt and mixed spice.
- Add the wet ingredients and the flax egg to the dry ingredients and mix well, fold the chopped apples in.
- Line a Loaf tin with coconut oil so it is lightly covered and then add the mix. Top with the flaked almonds and use the apple peel to make a flower, get creative.
- Cook for 30 – 40 minutes, check after 30 mins until a knife comes out clean. Leave to cool before cutting.
- What to serve it with?
- You can serve it out its own, grill it and spread almond butter on it, maple syrup or vegan butter. You could even make this into a dessert and serve with some vegan custard or ice-cream, or simply enjoy with a nice cuppa.
Love sarah xoxo